(This is a 27 year horse being fed with care but will not sweat in the summer heat)
I know you wanted an update on how he was doing so this is what I’ve got so far:
Well, we’ve completed the 1 week “diet reset” where I removed everything from his diet but his bermuda hay, timothy cubes, & salt.
- Days 1 & 2 were pretty average, nothing of note.
- Day 3 I noticed he had a lot more sweat flecks/salt crush on his back and rump, indicating he’d sweated quite a bit. I also noticed he’d drank a little more water in his stall, maybe another gallon or two?
- Day 4 he had even more sweat covering his entire back, belly/sheath & butt. This was impressive. More sweat than I’ve seen in quite awhile!
- Day 5 & 6 continued with the sweat crystals on his back.
- Day 7 was good also. I’m not sure if this is related, but today I did notice some small 2″ pocket-like soft swellings on his belly. He’s had them before, it’s just been awhile since I’ve seen them. They’re not bug bites and they don’t itch. Just soft pockets that fill and later go away. I’ve included pics in case you know what they are.
This week I am adding back the whey protein isolate & the Vitamin E (2-3000IUs daily).
After that’s added in I will add his minerals back in. I will send you more updates as I go along.
I’ll keep a close eye on him. He’s been on the protein 3 days now, and all is normal. I’m hopefully he’ll make a full recovery in the next 6 weeks. This is encouraging. We’ll take it as slow as we have to to ensure it works.