Podcast #122 – The Basics Of Breeding Mares And Delivering Foals

The Equine Practice Inc, The Horse's Advocate

Published on April 17, 2024

This podcast discusses the basics of breeding the mare and delivering the newborn foal.

The number one rule of getting your mare bred is to develop good daily observational skills and record what you observe. This will show the subtle signs needed to get your mare bred successfully. The next most important thing to do is to create a good working relationship with a veterinarian skilled in reproduction.

Delivering mares requires no intervention 90% of the time. However, you should still attend because they will need help for the remaining 10%. Of these problematic births, one will be life-threatening for the mare, foal, or both. I discuss how and when to intervene and when you need to call your veterinarian.

Back to top


Remember, you can also start a discussion in the forums for a more in-depth experience!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.